Shopify Portal versus Merchant Portal
The Shopify Portal is used for connecting your Shopify store with your Bread gateway payment method. Without a properly configured account, your store will not be able to redirect customers to Bread from the checkout page.
You can find the Shopify Portal at https://shopify.getbread.com. This is not to be confused with your Bread Merchant Portal located at https://merchants.getbread.com. These portals have a different set of credentials. If you have not created a Shopify Portal account yet, you can sign up for one here. Once you have created an account, make sure to remember the password.
Gateway Keys versus Bread API Keys
Gateway keys are often confused with Bread’s live and sandbox API keys. To highlight the difference, let’s review what Gateway Keys are and how they are used.
Gateway keys are used to identify your Shopify store when communicating with Bread’s Shopify service. They can only be retrieved from within your Bread Shopify portal at https://shopify.getbread.com.
If your customers are seeing a “Gateway account not found” error when attempting to check out with Bread, that means you either haven’t created a Shopify Portal account yet or you entered the wrong Gateway keys within your Shopify store settings.
How to Set your Gateway Keys in Shopify
- Log into your Shopify Portal at https://shopify.getbread.com — create a new account if you don’t already have one or if you forgot your old account credentials.
- Copy your Gateway Key and Gateway Secret at the top of your account page.
- Log into your Shopify store admin — for example: my-store.myshopify.com/admin
- Within your Settings, select Payment providers, then Alternative payments, then Bread.
- Click Edit, then enter you Gateway Key and Secret here.